The Tuscumbia Police Department has released the names of the three men involved in Wednesday’s triple shooting.
Deceased are Gavin Cole, who was shot in the head and later died at a Tupelo hospital, and Alontae Nalls, whose body was found in the wooded area near the Willie Green Recreational Center crime scene.
Reginald Thompson was shot and is listed in critical condition at UAB University Hospital in Birmingham. Police said he had surgery Thursday morning.
Police have not yet released details, including a motive, in the shootings. Ages have not been officially released, either, but police previously said the three’s ages ranges from late teen to early twenties.
They are processing both vehicles and a gun found at the scene for evidence, but they don't know if that gun was used in the shooting.
On Thursday, the Sheffield City school system confirmed that Cole and Thompson were former students of the system. Tuscumbia police said they are waiting to interview Thompson and another possible witness to piece together what happened.
"We are going to send some detectives down to interview him to try and pull some of the pieces together to try and figure out exactly what caused this to happen. We may never know completely, but I think he is going to be critical for us, so as soon as the hospital clears him to be interviewed, we will do that," said Chief Tony Logan with Tuscumbia police.
Police say Nalls, Cole, Thompson and a fourth person who is a juvenile met along South East Street, but they do not know why they all met up.
"We know there were two vehicles, Mr. Nalls' vehicle, which was found at the scene, and then there was another vehicle that transported the shooting victim to Keller Hospital, and we have found that vehicle also," said Logan.
- Names released in fatal Tuscumbia triple shooting
- Police: 2 dead in Tuscumbia triple shooting
- Name released of man killed in standoff in Tuscumbia
- Inmate escapes from Tuscumbia work release site
- Tuscumbia escaped inmate recaptured
- Tuscumbia police identify victim in deadly shooting
- Tuscumbia police arrest suspect in deadly shooting
- Tuscumbia police search for "dangerous" suspect connected to a fatal shooting
- Man killed in Tuscumbia wreck
- Tuscumbia police arrest suspect wanted after deadly Friday night shooting