NEW YORK (AP) - KFC has picked singer Reba McEntire to play Colonel Sanders, the first female celebrity in the role.
In commercials starting next week, McEntire dons the Colonel's famous white suit and black tie, but with a twist.
McEntire's outfit has fringe on the back, and a glittery shine. McEntire sings on stage as the Colonel, with a white wig and white facial hair.
A rotating cast of famous names have portrayed the Colonel since 2015, but McEntire is the first female celebrity to do it, and the first musician. She may also be the first woman in KFC's nearly 90-year-history to depict the Colonel. The company said the "best historical minds at KFC" could not remember a woman having stepped into the role.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
1/25/2018 6:59:56 PM (GMT -6:00)
- Musical Colonel: Reba McEntire to play KFC chain's founder
- Reba McEntire hosts ABC's 2018 CMA Country Christmas
- CMAs replace host Brad Paisley with Dolly Parton and Reba McEntire
- KFC starting sensitivity training
- Huntsville KFC scheduled for makeover
- Huntsville's 'Musical Audit'
- Man arrested for shooting wife's computer because she played loud music
- Country Music Association Awards nominations
- Huntsville music survey closes Monday
- Huntsville Veloce location chained shut: What we know