Photo Gallery 1 Images
The Muscle Shoals Police Department is investigating after a woman reported being pulled over on Wilson Dam Highway by a man impersonating a police officer.
Grace Stockton, 19, is the young woman the man pulled over. She said when she saw the large black SUV and blue lights in its dash, she thought it was an unmarked police car. She pulled over along Wilson Dam Road, right after she went over the Singing River Bridge.
"He got out and came up to my window. I kept my door locked and just cracked it a little bit," said Stockton.
That's when he started telling her she had warrants, which she knew wasn't right. Stockton said she got a weird feeling from the guy. She said his badge did not look like an official cop's badge.
"It had like a white sticker across the badge that said Johnson on it and I was like, that doesn't look right at all," said Stockton.
Stockton told police the incident happened Thursday around 2 p.m. Police say the suspect is described as a middle-aged white male with dark hair.
Police say the suspect was reported to be wearing black colored clothing with a white sticker bearing the name “Johnson” on a black knit uniform style shirt. His vehicle was described as a larger black SUV with flashing blue lights.
According to police, the suspect approached the driver and said, “I ran your tag and you have a warrant.” They say when the driver told him there should be no warrant, the suspect said, “Okay, have a good day.”
Muscle Shoals police say this traffic stop was not conducted by the agency and any contact with the described suspect should be immediately reported to 911.
Anyone with information or who witnessed the incident, is asked to call Muscle Shoals police at (256) 383-6746. Police warn if you ever find yourself being stopped by an unmarked vehicle, dial 911 and request verification that it is a police agency conducting the stop.
- Muscle Shoals police investigating after woman said man posing as cop pulled her over
- Muscle Shoals TV Show Confirmed
- Muscle Shoals' pre-game routine
- Tuscumbia man killed in Muscle Shoals wreck
- Florence police arrest Muscle Shoals woman on forged check charges
- Police: Woman stole vehicles from Muscle Shoals apartment complex
- Athens police accuse Muscle Shoals man of indecent exposure
- Muscle Shoals Education Foundation raises $90,000
- Muscle Shoals parents upset after teacher firing
- One dead in Muscle Shoals shooting