Photo Gallery 1 Images
Alan Willingham, principal at McBride Elementary School in Muscle Shoals, has resigned.
The announcement came at a special called meeting of the Muscle Shoals City Board of Education on Wednesday morning.
It was announced Tuesday that Willingham was placed on leave Sunday afternoon until further notice, said Brian Lindsey, superintendent of Muscle Shoals City Schools.
“I do not comment on personnel matters,” Lindsey said.
Lindsey did tell us the matter does not involve students or impact students at all. We asked him three separate times why Willingham was placed on leave and why he resigned.
"Again I don't comment on personnel matters. It's just some information that came to me last week and some things we looked at and like I said after some things he and I discussed he felt like it was in his best interest to resign," said Lindsey.
According to the school’s website, Willingham was in his second year as the school’s principal and this is his 21st year in education.
In 2017, Willingham and the district came under scrutiny for firing McBride Elementary teacher Blake Jarmon. Many parents felt like Jarmon was wrongfully fired, and they did not like how the school system handled the investigation.
Parents started a petition to get Jarmon his job back, but the school system never reinstated him. The school board said it fired Jarmon for improper conduct.
The Muscle Shoals Police Department told WAAY 31 they do not have any open or closed investigations on Willingham.
- Muscle Shoals principal placed on indefinite leave
- Muscle Shoals principal resigns after being placed on leave
- WAAY31 obtains personnel file of Muscle Shoals elementary school principal who resigned
- Muscle Shoals TV Show Confirmed
- Muscle Shoals' pre-game routine
- Muscle Shoals Education Foundation raises $90,000
- Muscle Shoals parents upset after teacher firing
- Tuscumbia man killed in Muscle Shoals wreck
- One dead in Muscle Shoals shooting
- Muscle Shoals basketball punches Final Four ticket