Multiple units responded Wednesday morning to a house fire on South Broad Place in Huntsville.
"It looked like hell. I mean, it was...I could feel the heat standing 50 feet away," said Jared Pittenger.
Pittenger's friend lives at the home and that's how he described the early morning fire that destroyed it.
"She came to my house frantic. She said she had just left the firehouse, knocked on the door, but couldn't get anyone to answer. So, she came over to my house screaming, 'Help!'" said Pittenger.
Pittenger said he didn't even think twice to help when his friend, Ms. Dana, told him her home was on fire. His wife called 911. Meanwhile, he ran out the door in just a t-shirt and gym shorts and tried to do what he could, but the flames were too hot.
"I couldn't even get five feet to the hose, it was so hot. The flames were 20 feet coming out the window," said Pittenger.
Huntsville Fire and Rescue came to the home after getting the call from Pittenger's wife. A fire chief said five engines responded to the scene, and when they arrived, they could see flames coming through the window.
"There's significant fire damage upstairs in the attic," said fire district chief, Jay Gates.
We talked to the woman who owns the home off camera. She said there were electric space heaters in the room where the fire started. We have reached out to fire officials to confirm this.
With tears in her eyes, she told us she has owned this home for 20 years. Now, she's trying to figure out what to do next. As for her friend coming to her aid, he said it was the right thing to do.
"Help somebody in need. I would want someone to do the same for me," said Pittenger.
Pittenger isn't done helping his friend. He set up a GoFundMe account for the homeowner to help her get back on her feet. The Red Cross also came out and assisted.
According to officials, the call came in just after 2:00 Wednesday morning. The fire is out, but first responders are still checking the home for hotspots.
Right now, we know no one was home during the fire, and no injuries have been reported.