The Marshall County Sheriff's Office has arrested a man and woman on multiple charges after investigating a video showing a sexual assault circulated on Facebook Messenger and through text messages.
53-year-old Van Havis from Guntersville is charged with sodomy, drug possession, force compulsion, bestiality, probation violation and some additional charges.
He's being held in the Marshall County Jail.
The sheriff's office also arrested Holly Debord from Albertville. She's charged with sodomy, force compulsion, and bestiality. She could be charged with more in the future.
The investigation started earlier this week. Sheriff Phil Sims said the case was driven by social media, and thanked citizens for informing authorities of it.
Investigators identified the suspects and victims. The victim involved in the video has a mental disability.
"This is one of the most disturbing and offensive, the facts of this case, that I've been involved with in some time and I've been involved in criminal law for a long time," said District Attorney Everette Johnson.
Sims is asking anyone with the video on their phone or computer to delete it, and added sharing the video is an offense.
Several agencies were involved in the investigation, including the Marshall County Sheriff's Office, Guntersville Police, Arab Police, Boaz Police, the Marshall County District Attorney's Office, Mountain Lakes Behavioral, and the Department of Human Resources.
Sheriff Sims says the video has been shared a significant amount of times, which is why they called a news conference on Friday.
"We wanted to get it out, we've got the guys, we've got them, they're in jail and they're not going anywhere, they're going to held accountable," said Sims.
- Marshall County sheriff charges 2 with sodomy, bestiality, more in recorded assault of disabled man
- 3rd man charged in Marshall County bestiality case
- Florence man charged with rape, sodomy
- Lauderdale County man arrested for sodomy
- Marshall County man accused of sexual abuse of a child, sodomy, rape
- Huntsville police charge man with sodomy, sexual abuse
- Red Bay man facing multiple rape, sodomy charges
- Man arrested for sodomy and sexual abuse
- Marshall County sheriff: Douglas High probe leads to assault charge for juvenile
- Marshall County man charged with meth trafficking