Mother cited after toddler overdoses on pot candy

MGN/Leafly/YouTube

The overdose seemed life threatening by the time the child arrived at a Bend hospital, authorities said.

Posted: Jun. 1, 2018 3:05 PM
Updated: Jun. 1, 2018 3:05 PM

LA PINE, Ore. (AP) - A mother in La Pine has been cited for child neglect after her 2-year-old son ate homemade marijuana-infused candy police say she left unattended.

Multiple news outlets report 27-year-old Katelynn Joy on Wednesday allegedly discovered a partially eaten candy while at home but waited several hours before calling authorities.

The Deschutes County Sheriff's Office says the symptoms of the apparent THC overdose worsened during that time.

The sheriff's office says deputies and paramedics responded to the home and found the child in apparent distress. The sheriff's office says the overdose seemed life threatening by the time he was taken to a Bend hospital.

Authorities say he since has been released from the hospital and is under Department of Human Services supervision. Joy was also cited for endangering the welfare of a minor.

Article Comments

Huntsville
Few Clouds
89° wxIcon
Hi: 90° Lo: 67°
Feels Like: 91°
Florence
Clear
89° wxIcon
Hi: 90° Lo: 70°
Feels Like: 90°
Fayetteville
Few Clouds
84° wxIcon
Hi: 88° Lo: 67°
Feels Like: 86°
Decatur
Few Clouds
87° wxIcon
Hi: 91° Lo: 67°
Feels Like: 89°
Scottsboro
Clear
86° wxIcon
Hi: 91° Lo: 65°
Feels Like: 89°
WAAY Radar
WAAY WAAY-TV Cam
WAAY Temperatures

Community Events