According to the Morgan County Sheriff's Office, on Tuesday, an inmate in the county jail attacked a detention officer from behind while the officer was dealing with another inmate.
The sheriff's office says the inmate punched the detention officer in the face and began choking the officer. Other nearby officers were able to detain the inmate. The inmate was charged with second-degree assault and has been given no bond in lieu of the charges for which the inmate was previously charged, the sheriff's office says.
The detention officer was released after receiving medical treatment, and a full recovery is expected. According to Mike Swafford with the Morgan County Sheriff’s Office, the suspect's trial for their original charge, is set to begin shortly.
- Morgan County inmate charged with attacking detention officer
- Inmate escaped from Morgan County Jail
- Morgan County honors fallen officers
- Madison County detention officer arrested for having sex with female inmate
- Morgan Co. inmate escapes work detail
- Escaped Morgan County inmate found dead in Florida
- Inmates accused of getting drugs in Morgan County Jail
- Woman arrested for attempting to sell Morgan County inmate's medication
- Morgan County inmate died from "undisclosed medical reasons"
- Community reacts after inmate found dead in Morgan County Jail