MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) - The wife of Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore says her husband will not step down in the face of sexual assault allegations.
Kayla Moore spoke out in defense of her husband on Friday. She says they have been married for over 32 years and the Army veteran has always been an officer and a gentleman.
She says he will not stop fighting for the people of Alabama and repeated what her husband said the day before when he remarked: "I will not stop until they lay me in that box in the ground."
Moore has been dogged by allegations that he sexually assaulted two women decades ago when they were teenagers.
Alabama Republican Roy Moore's campaign is lashing out at the women accusing him of sexual misconduct even as women's advocates decry what they call intimidation tactics.
Republicans in Washington are growing concerned that Moore might not only lose the special Senate election in Alabama but damage the GOP's brand with women across the country.
A spokesman for President Donald Trump says he finds the allegations against more "very troubling" but that the people of Alabama should determine the outcome of the Senate race.
In Alabama, Moore appeared alongside more than a dozen religious leaders, who took turns bashing the Christian conservative's many critics - especially his female accusers.
Moore himself called the allegations "unsubstantiated," ''unproven" and "fake" but refused to answer questions from reporters about the allegations.
(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Moore's wife defends husband, says he will fight
- Husband, Wife arrested on sex abuse charges
- Husband charged with wife's murder arrested in Alabama
- President Trump defends ICE and policy of fighting illegal immigration
- Madison County Coroner: Victims of fatal Brownsboro crash were husband and wife
- Moore's wife: 'One of our attorneys is a Jew'
- Roy Moore seeking money for fight against female accuser
- Husband of online exhibitionist indicted in killing
- Husband arrested in missing family case