Photo Gallery 1 Images
A Mississippi rock n' roll band is making history in the Shoals by releasing the first album out of the Muscle Shoals Sound Studio since 1978.
The band Bishop Gunn is made up of vocalist Travis McCready, guitarist Drew Smithers, bassist Ben Lewis and drummer Burne Sharp. The band hails from the Mississippi Delta and has a unique blues soulful sound mixed with inspirations from Muscle Shoals music.
They recorded their latest album named Natchez at the newly renovated Muscle Shoals Sound Studio on Jackson Highway. The band believes there is still "magic in the walls" at the sound studio from greats like Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bob Dylan and the Rolling Stones, which has inspired the group with their songs.
"The size of shoes to fill is a little bit of an adrenaline rush, but at the same time it gives you your best action," said Travis McCready, the vocalist for Bishop Gunn.
The band said they also pushed themselves as artists and recorded the tracks live, which leaves little room for error.
"It's a little bit of intimidation mixed with confidence and purpose to carry it on and put our mark with it," said McCready.
The band told WAAY 31 they plan on coming back to the Shoals to record more albums.
The Muscle Shoals Sound Studio [on Jackson Highway] will play host to a Bishop Gunn release party for their new album Saturday. The event kicks off at 4 p.m. and the band will take the stage at 6:30 p.m. The event is free to the public.
If you want to listen and buy the bands new album you can click here.
- Mississippi band makes history releasing first album from the renovated Muscle Shoals Sound Studio
- Big stars shine on 'Muscle Shoals: Small Town, Big Sound'
- Muscle Shoals TV Show Confirmed
- Muscle Shoals' pre-game routine
- Suspect released after deadly robbery in Muscle Shoals
- FAME Studios in Muscle Shoals sues Kanye West, others over rights to song
- Muscle Shoals Education Foundation raises $90,000
- Muscle Shoals parents upset after teacher firing
- Tuscumbia man killed in Muscle Shoals wreck
- One dead in Muscle Shoals shooting