(CNN) -- First lady Melania Trump took a trip to the US-Mexico border on Thursday to tour an immigrant children's shelter, but her trip is getting attention not only for her action, but her wardrobe choice.
As the first lady boarded her plane from Andrews Air Force Base, she wore an olive green jacket. The back of the jacket read: "I really don't care. Do U?" in white graffiti-style lettering. Trump was not wearing the jacket when she landed in McAllen, Texas.
The $39 jacket is last season Zara.
The Daily Mail first reported the jacket, which was spotted by the press traveling with the first lady but impossible to read without a long-range camera lens.
The first lady's team insisted that there was no hidden meaning behind the sartorial choice.
"It's a jacket. There was no hidden message. After today's important visit to Texas, I hope the media isn't going to choose to focus on her wardrobe," East Wing communications director Stephanie Grisham told CNN in a statement.
But Trump's fashion has often played a leading role during her tenure as first lady.
The notoriously private former model is intentional about her wardrobe choices: the instantly-iconic white hat for the French state visit, her white suit at the State of the Union speech and the pussy bow blouse she donned after the "Access Hollywood" tape surfaced all sent a clear message.
When she travels abroad, she's careful to choose outfits that conspicuously reflect the country she is visiting, including a belted jumpsuit in Saudi Arabia, her colorful dresses in France and Italy, and her nod to an Asian influence in Japan, China and South Korea.
™ & © 2018 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.
- Melania dons jacket saying 'I really don't care. Do U?' ahead of border visit
- Urgent care visits spike after the holiday
- OshKosh B'gosh recalls 38,000 quilted jackets because of choking hazard
- NTSB: Duck boat captain discussed life jackets before sinking
- President Trump visiting the US/ Mexico border today
- Melania Trump masters the moment
- WATCH: President Donald Trump, First Lady Melania Trump visit Alabama tornado damage
- Streets closing ahead of Trump visit to Tennessee
- Melania plans first state dinner for Macrons
- Melania Trump calls for immigration reform