WASHINGTON (AP) - In an extraordinary move, Melania Trump is publicly calling for the dismissal of a top White House National Security Council official.
After reports circulated Tuesday that the president had decided to remove Mira Ricardel from the NSC, the first lady's spokeswoman issued a statement saying: "It is the position of the Office of the First Lady that she no longer deserves the honor of serving in this White House."
Ricardel is national security adviser John Bolton's deputy.
The Wall Street Journal reported that the first lady's staff and Ricardel clashed during Mrs. Trump's visit to Africa in October over such things as seating on the plane and requests to use the council's resources.
Ricardel attended a White House ceremony Tuesday with President Donald Trump celebrating Diwali, the Hindu festival of lights.
- Melania Trump publicly calls for White House aide's firing
- Aide dismissive of McCain departs White House
- Melania Trump calls for immigration reform
- Melania Trump masters the moment
- Press aide who mocked McCain is out at the White House
- White House backs budget deal
- Beset by leaks, White House talks firings, not apologies
- White House says President Trump not endorsing Roy Moore
- White House won't deny Trump comment on Africa
- Trump assails White House Correspondents' Association amid Michelle Wolf controversy