When President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump arrived on the White House South Lawn Tuesday morning to formally welcome French President Emmanuel Macron and his wife, Brigitte, one thing was clear: The first lady commanded attention.
Without speaking a word, dressed in a white Michael Kors Collection asymmetrical blazer and skirt -- and an eye-catching, custom-made Hervé Pierre hat -- Melania Trump spoke volumes. This was her house, her dinner and her terms.
It has truly been a spotlight week for the first lady, kicking off with her attendance at Barbara Bush's funeral, the sole White House representation joining other first ladies and former presidents and culminating with her first state dinner. In many ways, the events showcased Melania Trump's contrasts with her husband -- where he is impulsive, she is meticulous; where he is combative, she is compassionate.
The first lady paid homage to France with a Chanel Haute Couture gown, hand-painted with silver and embroidered with crystals and sequins. Dresses for state level events are allowed to be gifted by the designer to be worn at the occasion and then are the property of the National Archives.
The President gave his wife a warm thank you for all her efforts on the dinner during his toast Tuesday night.
"To America's absolutely incredible first lady, thank you for making this an evening we will always cherish and remember. Thank you, Melania," he said to applause.
- Melania Trump masters the moment
- Melania Trump calls for immigration reform
- Melania Trump undergoes kidney surgery at Walter Reed medical center
- Trump: Melania 'doing great' after recent kidney treatment
- Melania Trump says US should govern 'with heart'
- Melania Trump: 'I'm the most bullied person on the world'
- Melania Trump publicly calls for White House aide's firing
- Melania plans first state dinner for Macrons
- WATCH: President Donald Trump, First Lady Melania Trump visit Alabama tornado damage
- Video shows moments after Tuscumbia bus crash