The Marshall County Sheriff’s Office charged a man Sunday in the rape of a 12-year-old girl.
David Ramirez Gonzalez, who the sheriff’s office says was in the country illegally, was arrested for first-degree rape, first-degree sexual abuse and resisting arrest, said Steve Guthrie, office spokesman.
Gonzalez’s bond has been set at $1 million.
Marshall County deputies and investigators responded to a sexual assault of a 12-year-old female in the Pleasant Grove area of Marshall County. After the incident, Gonzalez left the scene before deputies arrived, Guthrie said.
Gonzalez was found later that night hiding in a closet at a residence in the Arab area, Guthrie said.
After his arrest, a background check showed Gonzalez is here illegally and was deported in 2008 and deported again in 2009 for illegal reentry, said Guthrie.
Arab Police Department, Marshall County District Attorney’s Office, Marshall County Child Advocacy Center, and the Department of Human Resources assisted in the case.
- Marshall County Sheriff’s Office: 3-time illegal immigrant raped child, hid in closet
- Marshall County man charged with rape, having sex with child
- DeKalb County sheriff: Illegal immigrants caught in human smuggling operation
- Marshall County sheriff: 5 charged in child abuse probe
- Marshall County Sheriff's Office seeks check fraud suspect
- Marshall County sheriff’s office arrests man on stolen motorcycle
- Marshall County Sheriff's Office needs help to fund Project Lifesaver
- Investigation into alleged theft from Marshall County Sheriff's Office
- Marshall County Sheriff's Office warns about card skimmers
- Jail improvements underway at Marshall County Sheriff's Office