SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (AP) - A decorated U.S. Marine killed during the Battle of Guadalcanal in World War II has finally been laid to rest in his home state of Massachusetts.
Masslive.com reports a memorial service for Pfc. Francis E. Drake Jr. was held Friday at St. Michael's Cathedral in Springfield. His remains were buried with military honors at the Massachusetts Veterans' Memorial Cemetery in Agawam.
It fulfilled a long-ago promise made by Drake's mother that if killed in action her son would be buried on U.S. soil.
The 20-year-old was killed during fighting on the South Pacific island in October 1942 and received a field burial.
The Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency confirmed that remains found several years ago by a man while digging on his land belonged to Drake.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
5/25/2018 5:58:14 PM (GMT -5:00)
- Marine who died in WWII buried in Massachusetts
- Rapper 'Bambino Gold' buried today in Alabama
- Barbara Bush buried at presidential library
- Massachusetts sues opioid maker, executives over drug crisis
- Ex-Massachusetts governor to challenge President Trump for GOP nod
- Man identified as kissing sailor in WWII Times Square photo dies at 95
- Hartselle mom charged after newborn was found buried in backyard
- Man who claimed he buried Natalee Holloway fatally stabbed
- DeKalb man charged with murder after buried body found
- Baby survived 9 hours buried in Montana; man is charged