Two people are dead after they were involved in separate boating incidents in two lakes in north Alabama.
Alabama Law Enforcement Agency Marine Patrol Troopers were called to Smith Lake near Goat Island around 6:20 p.m. Saturday evening.
Troopers said a single vessel crash caused the death of a 12-year-old boy from the Vinemont area. Investigators said the boat was pulling three juveniles on tubes when one of them was fatally injured.
About an hour later, troopers along with the Morgan County Rescue Squad responded to Talucah Landing on Lake Wheeler shortly before 7:30 Saturday evening.
Officials told WAAY 31 that a man fell off the back of a jet ski and was pulled out of the water by passers-by. Witnesses said he was not wearing a life jacket at the time. WAAY31 spoke with a man who is in nursing school and who gave the victim CPR.
“It hit me quick. It just felt like this is something you have to do when you get into that program you kind of get that mentality that you know of there's someone that needs help it’s your duty and there was no question about it I just wanted to help the man,“ said Randall Bragg.
The man was taken to the opposite side of the water, where Huntsville Emergency Medical Services Inc (HEMSI) transported him to Madison Hospital, giving him resuscitation treatment along the way.
HEMSI officials said he was pronounced dead at Madison Hospital around 8:06 p.m. His identity has not been released.
- Two people dead in separate boating accidents in North Alabama
- Death toll increases in boating accident
- Woman in fair condition after boating accident
- People donate millions to help separated families
- Victim identified in fatal Morgan County boating accident
- Cullman victim identified in Saturday night boating accident
- Boating Crash Arrest
- New Charges for Alabama Man in Deadly Boating Crash
- Tamiflu concerns in North Alabama
- Rain impacts north Alabama crops