UPDATE: Joseph Lockett turned himself in to law enforcement Monday afternoon.
Huntsville Police are searching for 25-year-old Joseph Michael Lockett, a.k.a. Joseph Michael "Carter" who is wanted on felony warrants that include assault 1st degree, child abuse and aggravated child abuse. Police said the baby had more than 60 broken bones.
One woman who knows Lockett didn't want to be identifed, but said she was in shock seeing the charges he was facing.
"I couldn't imagine having 60 broken bones and especially being a baby. I don't think that he did it, but I dont' know what to say," she said.
Lockett's girlfriend, 22-year-old Chelsea Gay, is already in custody for aggravated child abuse and assault 1st degree. She was arrested on Saturday in relation to the case.
The investigation began after the two brought their 6-week-old baby to the hospital on September 4 with multiple injuries, which led to officers being notified. They asked Lockett for his ID, which he didn't have with him.
Lockett left and did not return to the hospital to check on the child's condition. Investigators then discovered that "Carter" was not his legal last name. Medical evidence from the investigation revealed that the child had many broken bones and life-threatening spinal cord and brain injuries.
"If you can't take care of the child or whatever there are people out here which wish they could have kids. There are people who wouldn't mind taking in a child, a family member or friend or give them to the state," said Lockett's friend.
The child has since been released from the hospital and is currently in the care of the Department of Human Resources. A safety plan has been followed.
- Two suspects charged with abuse of 6-week-old baby
- Mother of dead Texas baby indicted on corpse abuse charge
- Limestone County suspects charged with sex abuse of a child
- Husband, Wife arrested on sex abuse charges
- Florence man charged with child abuse
- Albertville couple charged with abusing small child
- Decatur man charged with child abuse
- Athens man charged with sexually abusing child
- Two men charged with child sex abuse
- Nursing home employee charged with elder abuse