Police investigating newspaper thefts from a person's home in southeast Decatur ending up arresting their suspect on a more serious charge.
Police said they determined William Mathis Harville, 46, was stealing the newspapers and when they went to speak with him, discovered he had a pistol and several other firearms.
Harville has been arrested and convicted on multiple domestic violence charges, police said, and he is not allowed to possess a pistol.
Harville was arrested on a charge of illegally possessing a pistol Thursday.
Because of his criminal history, police consulted Morgan County Circuit Court Judge Steven Haddock, who set Harville's bond at $10,000.
Harville was still in jail Friday afternoon, according to online jail records.
- Man suspected of stealing newspapers arrested for gun possession
- Huntsville man arrested for pipe bomb possession
- Danville man arrested for possession of meth
- Boaz man charged with stealing guns, medication
- Juvenile arrested for possessing BB gun in Crossville Middle School
- Man arrested for stealing clothes from Belk, second suspect sought
- Starbucks will stop selling newspapers
- Priceville police arrest suspects accused of stealing medicine, guns, more from vehicles
- Man arrested after stealing a vehicle
- Decatur man arrested for stealing roofing material