A Madison County judge sentenced a Huntsville man to 40 years in prison Monday for cutting up a woman's body and dumping it behind a south Huntsville shopping center.
William Lewis Payton, 44, was found guilty of one count of corpse abuse earlier this month.
Police say Payton dismembered the body of Tonya Amerson, 27, and left her remains behind the Target in Jones Valley in October 2015.
A lack of evidence led authorities to drop murder charges against Payton.
- Man sentenced to 40 years for corpse abuse
- Mother of dead Texas baby indicted on corpse abuse charge
- 'Hard to process:' Hartselle mom accused of burying baby's corpse stuns neighbors
- Alabama man sentenced to 40 years in prison for toddler's death
- Man sentenced to 45 years for cutting off woman's nipples
- Man sentenced to 30 years for deadly wrong-way wreck
- Man sentenced to 10 years in prison for manslaughter
- Larry Nassar sentenced to up to 175 years in prison for decades of sexual abuse
- Larry Nassar sentenced to 40 to 125 years at final sentencing
- Florence man charged with child abuse