Athens Police responded to a single-vehicle wreck around 8:30 p.m. Tuesday on U.S. Highway 72 at Line Road. The truck, which was driven by Peyton Coleman, veered into the median while heading westbound, struck a concrete guardrail and then spun to the right and fell almost 20 feet between the two bridges above Piney Creek. The truck landed on rocks and mud.
Residents heard the crash and called 911. Athens Ambulance Service, Athens Fire and Rescue and the Athens Police Department all responded to rescue Coleman. A helicopter landed on Highway 72 and transported Coleman to Huntsville Hospital. His truck was removed from the creek bank.
- Man rescued in Athens after truck fell 20 feet off the road
- Athens firefighters rescue 12-year-old from creek
- Athens City closes road for construction
- Athens neighbors react to flooded road
- Athens man gets year in jail for road rage incident
- Athens man killed in crash
- Athens firefighters pull grandmother through window in fiery rescue
- Athens police investigating shooting
- Athens man charged with drug trafficking
- Man charged after Athens apartment complex shooting