WAAY 31 has learned a barge worker lost his legs because of an accident in Guntersville Sunday night.
The Guntersville Fire & Rescue team, along with several other agencies, responded to the Guntersville Dam after a barge crew member was caught in a line connected to the dam.
“It’s just terrible," said fisherman, Larry Bogle. "I don’t know, you know, he’s just lucky he made it out alive.”
“It’s unfortunate, you know, for a job that he was just doing and had probably done many times before, and it’s just unfortunate that accident happened," added Deputy Fire Chief Brian Walls.
According to Walls, when the weather gets warmer, they receive a lot of calls of people out on the water, but he says this case was different.
“There’s not that many calls for service with the barge company," Walls said. "They’re usually up and down the river with no incident.”
Unfortunately, though, when it comes to the injuries from this case, Walls says it’s not something he and his crew haven’t seen before.
“Our guys see all kinds of stuff," he said. "Our guys are trained in that and it’s just one of those kinds of things where we just go assist wherever we’re needed."
However, Walls says it still takes a toll on them.
“As far as to describe those kinds of injuries, and how it affects you, I mean, it is stressful," he said.
After hearing about the incident, Bogle says he’s going to be more careful when fishing by staying out of the water.
“Really, nothing can happen to you if you’re on the shore and everything," he said.
WAAY 31 reached out to the marine police to see if they’re investigating the incident, but we haven’t heard back from them yet.
We’re also still waiting to hear back about the man’s condition.
- Man loses legs after accident at Guntersville Dam
- Roundabout might help Guntersville traffic
- Vigil held for Guntersville woman
- HydroFest in Guntersville wants volunteers
- Guntersville man finds dead body in woods near his home
- Fisherman, son find man's body in Lake Guntersville
- Guntersville store owner helps police nab escapees
- Guntersville woman charged with meth trafficking
- Teachers voluntarily clean Guntersville school during closure
- Guntersville woman charged with stealing truck