A man was hurt when a heater exploded in his detached garage Wednesday morning in Hazel Green, volunteer firefighters said.
The fire was at a home on Carter Grove Road and was called in around 9:45, according to firefighters.
Firefighters said the man turned on a heater in a detached garage and it exploded.
He was taken to a hospital second-degree burns on his hands and face.
The Bobo Volunteer Fire Department responded to the fire.
Firefighters said the explosion may have been caused by a propane leak.
Neighors like Olivia Kirkland told WAAY 31 they heard a loud boom from outside and called 911.
"The explosion was so loud my ears rang for about an hour afterwards. It gave me a headache. When I walked back to see and to check on my neighbor, it was constantly exploding," said Olivia Kirkland.
The debris scattered across the yard.
"I'm so thankful it was nothing but God that would have kept someone to live through that because the explosion was so massive and in an instant, his whole building was just gone," Kirkland said.
The state fire marshal's office will investigate to determine the cause.
- Man hurt in Madison County garage fire
- Business destroyed in early morning garage fire
- Madison County Tiger walk
- Madison man turns 100
- Kitchen fire displaces Madison County family
- Fire destroys mobile home in Madison County
- Early morning fire damages Madison County home
- UPDATE: Large field fire in Madison County
- Crews respond to Madison County house fire
- Honeybees found in Cincinnati garage