HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (AP) - Prosecutors say a man who stabbed his father 71 times and dumped his body in an Alabama river has been convicted of manslaughter.
News outlets report Eric Ray Jones was found guilty on Wednesday in the killing of his father Anthony Ray Jones. He had been charged with murder, but Madison County prosecutor Paul Barnett says jurors found him guilty of the lesser offense.
The 33-year-old killed his 55-year-old father at a cabin in New Hope in 2017, then strapped cinder blocks to sink the body in the Paint Rock River.
Defense attorney Reta McKannan says Jones didn't mean to kill him. Jones testified he was defending himself in a fight after wrecking his father's truck.
Jones could get up to 20 years in prison. Sentencing hasn't been scheduled.
- Man convicted of manslaughter after stabbing father 71 times in New Hope
- Franklin County man appealing manslaughter conviction
- Man charged with manslaughter in deadly New Hope shooting
- Murder suspect convicted of manslaughter, first-degree assault
- Woman charged with manslaughter
- Jackson County man faces manslaughter charge following deadly wreck
- Sheffield police charge man with manslaughter in 26-year-old's death
- Man charged with manslaughter for off-road DUI crash
- Madison County man is in jail on a manslaughter charge
- Man sentenced to 10 years in prison for manslaughter