Michael Stoltzfus has been sentenced to a 20-year split sentence.
He’ll spend three years in prison, five years on probation, and if he violates probation he’ll serve the remaining 17 years.
The prosecution asked for a 20-year straight sentence.
The defense asked for a 20-year reverse split where he would do three years in a treatment facility and then five years of probation.
Stoltzfus' attorney, Larry Marsili, told the judge he doesn't believe Stoltzfus intended to kill the victim, Shaun Boldin. Marsili told the judge both Stoltzfus and Boldin were heavily intoxicated when they engaged in a physical altercation that resulted in Boldin's death.
Marsili asked the judge to allow Stoltzfus to be admitted to a treatment facility where he could receive care for his alcohol habits.
In March, the state dropped charges against James Romans who was also arrested and charged in the murder.
Court documents show a man charged with murder, Michael Stoltzfus, intends to plead guilty to manslaughter at a sentencing hearing Thursday morning at the Madison County Courthouse.
Stoltzfus was charged with murder in February of 2018 for the killing of a man at an abandoned Huntsville apartment building. Another man, James Romans, was also arrested and charged with murder.
Huntsville police said the victim was found in an empty apartment building on Boxwood Court. According to Lt. Michael Johnson, preliminary evidence showed the victim was attacked by two people.
According to court records, both Stoltzfus and Romans were out on probation when they were arrested.
Stoltzfus was placed on a two-year probation after he pleaded guilty to a first degree theft by deception charge. He was granted the probation in March 2017.
- Man charged with Huntsville murder gets 3 years in prison on manslaughter plea
- Woman charged with manslaughter
- Man sentenced to 10 years in prison for manslaughter
- Man takes plea deal in 2018 Colbert County manslaughter case
- Woman charged with Madison manslaughter sentenced to three years in prison
- Driver charged with manslaughter in deadly Huntsville crash
- Huntsville man charged with capital murder
- Man charged with murder in Huntsville
- Huntsville police charge man with murder
- Huntsville man charged in Madison murder