A man was beaten to death on Highway 81 in Phil Campbell on Monday.
Phil Campbell Police Chief Joe Fike said Brittany Barnett, 21, will be charged with murder.
Fike identified the victim as 38-year-old Jason Poore. A murder weapon has not been recovered.
Police said they found Poore unresponsive outside of his home on Highway 81. Law enforcement said he did not have any stab or gunshot wounds and believe he may have been beaten to death, but they are waiting on an official cause of death from the state forensics lab.
Poore’s father was too emotional to speak other than to say he was at his son’s home and walked outside to see him taking his last breath.
Phil Campbell police said Barnett and Poore once were in a relationship. Fike said there were signs of an altercation inside and outside the house.
Fike said Barnett will be in court Wednesday for a bond revocation hearing. She was out on bond for a child endangerment charge.
Moore’s murder, the first in Phil Campbell in almost a decade, is sending shockwaves through the small town.
“We just seen a bunch of squad cars,” said Randale Williams, who lives nearby.
Williams says he saw police cars and flashing lights going down Highway 81 Monday evening.
“There was probably 10 of them lighting up the whole sky right there,” he said.
The Phil Campbell Police Department is investigating with the help of the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office.
- Update: Police identify suspect in Phil Campbell murder
- Second arrest made in Phil Campbell murder
- Westminster Christian wins big over Phil Campbell
- UPDATE: Phil Fulmer named Tennessee's athletics director
- UPDATE: Victims in Huntsville triple murder identified; suspect in custody
- UPDATE: Huntsville police identify victim in overnight murder
- UPDATE: Madison County sheriff identifies burglary suspect
- Decatur Police seeking help in identifying suspect
- Suspects from afternoon police chase identified