There's no hiding from the fact that the Iron Bowl is a big game, it always is, but this year, it's it's a high stakes game like we haven't seen in a couple years.
“I think you’ve got the Iron Bowl, it’s big. And you have the Iron Bowl with the possibility of a SEC West Championship – it feels like 2013. It feels exactly the same way," said Auburn coach Gus Malzahn. "It’s a big game and it means more, so it feels the same way.”
That just so happens to be the last time the Auburn Tigers won the Iron Bowl. Thanks to the kick six, they advanced to the SEC Championship game and game within 13 seconds of winning the BCS Championship that year.
Now the Tigers hope to follow the same path to the national championship, but in order to do it, they'll have to get through another stout Alabama defense, one that's ranked tops in the country in total defense and scoring defense, second in run defense and third in pass defense. To that, Auburn's offense says they have to stay the course and take their opportunities when they can.
- Malzahn, Tigers players talk Iron Bowl
- Iron Bowl stunner: coaching Auburn to victory
- Gus Malzahn Staying at Auburn
- VIDEO: Malzahn, Smart talk before SEC Championship game
- Alabama searches for identity lost in Iron Bowl defeat
- Deshaun Davis, Jarrett Stidham speak with media before Iron Bowl
- Gus Malzahn inks new deal with Auburn
- Malzahn updates Stidham's status for A-Day
- Alabama players react to Orange Bowl victory
- Malzahn: Pettway out extended period with fractured scapula