Police say a criminal investigation is underway for the wreck.
Zayas-Cruz died from his injuries after his bicycle was hit by a vehicle at Wall Triana Highway and Boeing Boulevard.
Police are waiting for toxicology reports to determine if drugs or alcohol were a factor in the crash, said Lt. Michael Johnson, Huntsville Police Department spokesman.
Bystanders performed CPR on Zayas-Cruz at the scene on Tuesday night, according to Frank McKenzie with Huntsville Fire and Rescue.
Dr. Sally Chu says she's been cycling with Zayas-Cruz for years.
She remembers her friend as a competitive, hardworking cyclist who always had a positive attitude.
"He was always smiling and even though he wasn't winning the races, he was training hard and going to do better next time. His family supported him. They are actually still optimistic. On Facebook, they said he is riding his way to heaven," she said.
- Madison man identified as cyclist killed in crash on Wall Triana Highway
- Huntsville police: Crash that killed cyclist on Wall Triana now a criminal investigation
- Madison police: Avoid Highway 72, Wall Triana Highway due to multi-vehicle wreck
- Madison police: Wreck at Highway 72 at Wall Triana Highway caused traffic delays
- Pedestrian hit by car on Wall Triana Highway
- Portion of Wall Triana Highway to close tomorrow
- Fallen tree blocks part of Wall Triana Highway
- Traffic Alert: Flooding impacts one lane of Wall Triana Highway
- Madison Police investigate deadly shooting near the Wall Triana Kroger
- Death Investigation in Triana