A Limestone County man escaped unscathed from a fire that quickly destroyed the house around him.
Shortly before 2:30 a.m. Thursday morning, Luther Walke was asleep in a cabin on Segers Road that he was watching for a friend when he woke up to what he thought was a light in the home. When he opened his eyes, he saw flames coming from part of the cabin. He was able to get out without being burned and called 911.
Fire crews said the cabin was fully engulfed in flames when they arrive. The cabin was ruled a total loss.
"The fire had gone from the kitchen to all the way out the porch door. I mean the flames were already coming out. I couldn't get back in to get my work boots," said Walke.
The homeowners, who live just down the road, said they’ve owned the cabin since 1972 and were crushed to see it go up in flames.
"It's not going to hit til tomorrow. It's not really going to hit completely until tomorrow," said homeowner Carol Blue.
The Blues' said another man rents the home from them, but he often lets others stay in it, which is okay with them.
"Giving people a home when they need it for a few days or making sure they got fed and taken care of."
Walke told us he's just one of the few people the renter has helped out.
"It's been open to everybody here on the streets. Anybody that's been addicted to drugs or don't have anywhere to go. If they've got warrants and are on the run from the law they can come here."
Seger Volunteer Fire Department responded to the fire and called in Madison Fire and Rescue for support. Officials told WAAY 31 the cabin was fully involved when they arrived.
Madison Police blocked off the intersection of Powell Road and Segers Road while crews worked. Athens Utilities cut the power to the home while crews worked to knock down the flames.
The cause of the fire is unknown and will be investigated by the fire marshall for Limestone County.
- Madison house fire shuts down intersection
- Overturned fuel truck shuts down Decatur intersection
- Confusion in Madison County over intersection jurisdiction
- House fire shuts down Sparkman Drive
- Car fire shuts down part of Madison Blvd.
- Madison woman escapes Friday morning house fire
- Crews respond to Madison County house fire
- Harvest road shut down by Madison Co. Sheriff's office
- Dangerous intersection receives new signs
- Officials investigate overnight house fire in Madison Co.