The City of Madison is showing increased interest in bringing minor league baseball back to the Tennessee Valley, as it say it is looking into building a multi-use venue which could support a baseball team.
Madison city leaders say they have met with an ownership group which has interest in bringing a team to the city. While Madison did not reveal the name of the ownership group, it is believed that the group they are discussing a potential relocation with is BallCorps, which just announced Tuesday that Major League Baseball has approved the sale of the Southern League's Mobile BayBears. BallCorps has said that any discussions of whether or not the franchise will relocate are forthcoming.
The city is also discussing where to build such a venue, and the likely spot will be the 500-acre Town Madison development off Interstate 565 and Zierdt Road. City leaders are currently in talks with architects and construction professionals.
“We anticipate and expect that the construction of a multi-use venue would attract additional family-friendly entertainment as well as new shopping and dining options, which is a request I get from the community every day.” said Madison Mayor Paul Finley. “We are working hard with our City Council to explore this opportunity to enance our tax base and develop this project in a way that will add to our quality of life.”
The city has much to address before a first pitch is announced beyond stadium construction. This includes zoning and financing. It is unknown how much Madison taxpayers may have to contribute toward such a project.
- Madison 'exploring an opportunity' to build minor league baseball stadium
- Madison City Council votes in favor of minor league baseball stadium development agreement
- Madison awards contract to begin building baseball stadium
- Madison fields its option for Minor League ballpark
- Madison approves spending millions to move baseball stadium project forward
- Baseball stadium could bring $1M in revenue to Madison annually
- Baybears owner says North Alabama can support Minor League Baseball team again
- Trash Pandas announce support for Save Minor League Baseball Task Force
- Minor injuries reported in Madison County crash
- City of Madison releases rendering of new baseball stadium, agreement with team owner