The former Three Springs juvenile detention center will soon be a community center for people in the city of Madison.
Today, it sits empty on Browns Ferry Road as doors remain locked after Three Springs shut down in August.
It’s what people in the community wanted after several problems with teens escaping.
Madison Mayor Paul Finley announced he wants to reopen it, and turn it into a place to bring people together.
"I think it'll be a good thing for the area, but I am concerned because most of the kids in this outside, they don't go outside, they don't go and play," said James McLinnaham.
James McLinnaham told us he was excited to hear the Three Springs center would become in a community center.
He told us the building has everything you need for one already: A gym, restrooms, and lots of open space for renovations.
Many others in the neighborhood agree.
"It's unfortunate because they had poor security, we had some escapes, we had the murder about 3 years ago and that's unfortunate because it reflects poorly and all those other kids need a second chance," said Gary Nenniger.
Madison Mayor Paul Finley announced the future plans at his State of The City address last week.
"I think the facility is in good shape and it probably shouldn't be torn down," said McLinnaham.
The boys who were housed there were placed in different facilities and the company's business license was revoked back in August of last year after the escape of 3 teenagers.
- Madison mayor announces Three Springs facility will become community center
- Three Springs facility safety improvements
- Madison moves forward with plans to turn former juvenile detention facility into community center
- New recreational facilities coming to Madison County
- Madison Co. community center to be torn down
- New community center making its debut in Madison County
- Madison brewery announces plans to close
- Three Springs up for renewal, community reacts
- Madison police: Runaway teens from juvenile facility have been detained
- Madison youth detention facility passed state inspections prior to escapes