Madison County had the second most write-in votes in the state behind Jefferson County.
County officials tallied 3,324 eligible write-in votes, of which Luther Strange received 30% with 1015 votes.
1. Luther Strange (1,015)
2. Lee Busby (797)
3. Mo Brooks (493)
4. Ron Bishop (183)
5. Chanda Mills Crutcher (152)
6. Tommy Battle (65)
7. Jeff Sessions (59)
8. Nick Saban (45)
9. “Blank” (37)
10. Mac Watson (22)
Saban finished ahead of Alabama Governor Kay Ivey, Condoleeza Rice and U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions filling his own vacant seat.
Not all write-in votes could be counted. The list of 139 ineligible write-ins included “Blank,” “Jesus Christ” and “Mickey Mouse.” Even Santa picked up 2 write-in votes in Madison County along with some other fictional characters like Kermit the Frog, Bozo the Clown and Elmer Fudd.
Auburn head football coach Gus Malzahn received 1 vote in Madison County.
- Madison County special election write-in vote winners, losers tally
- Winners and losers from the government reopening
- Alabama write-in votes are only counted if they could impact election
- Alabama to count, identify US Senate special election votes
- Write-in votes could help decide Alabama Senate race
- Madison County Schools go through special lockdown drill
- Madison County Sheriff-Elect Kevin Turner takes Oath of Office
- Huntsville Madison County Chamber of Commerce board elects new chair
- Madison County, state officials watching weather ahead of election
- Madison County elects first new sheriff in 15 years