We’re getting answers for a Madison County neighborhood after they reached out to WAAY 31 about an unhealthy-looking horse in Ardmore.
An anonymous viewer sent us a picture, believing the horse was being neglected, so we looked into it. We spoke with the horse's owner and her neighbors about the horse's condition.
“We look out for each other’s animals,” a concerned neighbor said.
This woman didn’t want to be identified, but was one of several people who said they were concerned about a horse on Brian Drive in Ardmore.
“If I see one starving or something, I’m just the kind of person who loves to take care of it,” she said.
Neighbors said they thought the horse wasn’t getting the care it deserves.
“Year-round, all we see them get is hay. No grain, very rarely see them given water. They do not have grass,” a neighbor said.
The horse’s owner didn’t want to be on camera but says the 24-year-old horse, whose name is Eagle, has been sick for four months. She said Eagle picked up a disease and is taking medication once a day for it.
Madison County Animal Control received a complaint about the horse and checked him out. They confirmed the horse is sick and is being treated by a local vet.
Still, some are worried about the horse’s living conditions.
“They can’t roam free. They can’t run like they need to be running. It’s a 10' by 12' caged-in area and it can’t move. It’s gotten in really poor shape,” a neighbor said.
The owner said she moved Eagle to the small pen several months ago after another horse wouldn’t share the food. She says she’s left him there because she was told not to put him around other animals until he is healthy again.
“It’s upsetting to see an animal go down. Especially when you feel like you could do something, but you don’t know where to start. It’s really heartbreaking. That’s the best word I could say,” a neighbor said.
Madison County Animal Control says no charges are expected to be filed in this case. Eagle’s owner tells WAAY 31 his recovery will be a slow one, but he’s expected to be okay.
- Madison County neighbors concerned about unhealthy-looking horse in Ardmore
- Ardmore neighbors concerned after two shootings in less than a week
- Damage near Ardmore
- Madison County Health Department responds to neighbors' concerns about trash build-up
- Lee cruises past Ardmore 66-40
- Neighbor reacts to Madison County man charged with rape, incest
- Tornado in Ardmore destroys family's house
- Graduation cord controversy at Ardmore High School
- Wreck in Ardmore involving a State Trooper
- Tractor-trailer overturned on I-65 near Ardmore