The parents of an 11-month-old girl were convicted of aggravated child abuse charges this week, according to Tim Douthit, the Madison County Assistant District Attorney.
Doctors testified Joshua Lee Foster and Porsha Dawn Bole's daughter died after she was given a lethal dose of medicine. Doctors said contributing factors to the girl's death were dehydration and that she was malnourished.
A state Forensic Sciences Department medical examiner testified a fatal dose of the pills was the cause of death, but the severe malnourishment and dehydration were contributing factors. A pediatrician testified it would take months for her to get to the malnourished state she was in, according to Douthit.
The baby was born weighing 9 pounds and died 11 months later weighing only 10 pounds, an investigator testified in November of 2018 at a hearing. The investigator said the girl never walked or crawled during her short life.
Douthit said a bowl full of Benadryl and three different bottles of off-brand sleeping pills were found in the couple's house. They are not charged with death because the state can’t prove who gave the baby the pills, according the district attorney's office.
Foster's trial started Monday and he was found guilty by a Madison County jury Wednesday morning, according to Douthit. Bole pleaded guilty to aggravated child abuse on Monday, Douthit said.
They will both be sentenced in January. Both face a sentence of up to life in prison.
- Madison County couple convicted in death of malnourished 11-month-old girl
- Madison County parents sentenced in death of 11-month-old daughter
- 11-month-old child killed, 3 injured in Athens wreck
- Hay arrives for malnourished cows in Lauderdale County
- A Texas judge says hospital can take 11-month-old girl off life support despite her family's wishes
- Convicted sex offender asks Madison County judge for castration
- Agencies throughout Madison County work together to convict child predators
- Lawsuits settled over Madison County inmate deaths
- Madison County Sheriff's Office investigates inmate death
- Madison County Sheriff's Office investigating inmate's death