Photo Gallery 1 Images
On Thursday, the Madison County Sheriff’s Office discussed the findings of its investigation into the Madison police shooting of Dana Fletcher on Oct. 27.
The department says on Sunday Oct. 27, a citizen called 911 at 4:40 p.m. saying there was a red and white van in front of Planet Fitness on Highway 72 West in Madison. The caller said the occupants of the van had been inside the gym taking pictures and asking inappropriate questions.
According to the sheriff’s office, the first officer arrived three minutes after the call was made and approached the passenger side of the van, where Fletcher was sitting with the door open.
The department says Fletcher and the female in the driver’s seat were uncooperative with the officer, and the officer saw Fletcher reach between the seats toward a gun.
More officers arrived a short time later and a struggle ensued with Fletcher to try to get him out of the van and disarmed, the sheriff’s office says.
According to the department, the officers were able to safely remove the female, who was uncooperative, and an eight-year-old child from the van, but Fletcher refused.
The sheriff’s office says a police K9 was used to try and disarm Fletcher, and another officer used a “less-than-lethal" taser, which was unsuccessful.
The department says Fletcher then stepped from the van, pointed a gun at an officer and two officers fired their weapons. Officers tried first aid, but Fletcher died at the scene, according to the sheriff’s office.
The gun was taken from Fletcher’s hand after the shooting, the department says.
According to the sheriff’s office, investigators processed all evidence at the scene, reviewed all body camera footage and business videos and interviewed witnesses. The department says it has concluded its portion of the investigation and turned over evidence and materials to the District Attorney’s Office for further investigation.
There is also evidence that still must be analyzed and processed by the State Department of Forensic Science.
- Madison County Sheriff’s Office concludes investigation into police shooting of Dana Fletcher
- Madison Co. Sheriff’s Office: Investigation prevents release of information in Dana Fletcher death
- Madison County District Attorney says Madison police shooting of Dana Fletcher was justified
- Internal review clears Madison Police Department officers in shooting death of Dana Fletcher
- Watch: Huntsville Madison NAACP town hall on death of Dana Fletcher in Madison police shooting
- Madison County Sheriff's Office investigating overnight shooting
- Questions mount for city of Madison even after officers cleared in Dana Fletcher shooting death
- Community frustrated after Madison County sheriff, district attorney speak on Dana Fletcher's death
- Madison Police Chief, Mayor tight-lipped on Dana Fletcher's death investigation
- Activists hold conference in response to shooting of Dana Fletcher by Madison police