The Madison County Sheriff's Office said your safety could be in danger if the County refuses to add $4 million dollars to its budget.
Thursday afternoon, Sheriff Blake Dorning said he’s concerned a growing jail population could put you in danger. He said there are 162 more inmates in the jail right now than at this time last year.
Here's what the Sheriff's Office said it would use the money for:
$2 million dollars will help keep the jail running. Dorning said medical costs are also up because of inmates coming in under the influence of drugs and needing outside medical attention. He also said the increase in inmates is making the budget tight.
On the enforcement side, the department is asking for about $1.7 million to buy ten new vehicles and hire ten new deputies. The department also wants to give some current employees a pay increase to keep up with other agencies in the area.
'We're growing. Every day we are cutting ribbons because we are growing. Everybody says we are growing and we are going to be one of the largest cities in the southeast before we know it. It's a tax on your infrastructure. It's a tax on your roads. It will be a tremendous tax on public safety," he said.
Dorning also said the number of deputies is about the same as 25 years ago, and this money’s needed to keep up with the fast rate of growth in the area.
The next County Commission meeting is on September 19th and if any of the money the Sheriff's Office asked for will be approved by the Comission.
According to the sheriff's office, the commission rejected a little less than a one million dollar budget bump last year and that’s why this year’s request is so high.
- Madison County Sheriff asks County for about $4 million extra dollars
- Madison County road getting $1.1 million dollar safety improvements
- Madison County school gets multi-million dollar upgrade
- Multi-million dollar recreational complex under construction in Madison County
- Madison County Sheriff's Office investigating robbery at Dollar General
- Madison County Commission approves $59 million budget
- Madison County Schools to build multi-million dollar fine arts center
- Madison County Sheriff's Office hiring new deputies
- Madison County Sheriff's Office investigating overnight shooting
- Madison County Sheriff's Office makes murder arrest