Photo Gallery 1 Images
The Madison County School Board named Dr. Mark Minskey on Thursday as the interim superintendent of the district.
A Madison County Schools spokesperson, Tim Hall, says Minskey will serve in the role until the school board names a superintendent to fill the remaining term of Matt Massey.
Matt Massey is resigning as the district's superintendent to become the president of a new cyber technology school coming to Huntsville.
Hall says the board will now begin discussions on the process of how it plans to make a decision on a permanent superintendent. They have 180 days from July 15th to find a replacement.
Ann Addison has a granddaughter in the district. She knows the type of candidate she would like to see take over, "I would hope to see someone that is very familiar with our school district and not just some outsider that comes in and change it, or decide they want to have some newfangled thing," said Addison.
WAAY 31 sat down with Massey on Thursday and talked about the legacy he's leaving behind. He said he's excited for the new opportunity, but he says he'll always have a piece of the Madison County School District in his heart.
"I met my wife here. The kids are part of the system," he said.
Matt Massey's last day as superintendent is Sunday. During his time with the district, he's improved test scores, made renovations to the schools and has more students taking advanced and college courses.
Addison told WAAY 31 she is sad to see Massey go, "I will miss him very much. He's a very, very, capable man," said Addison.
The district says Minskey and his family live in Madison County, and he currently serves as the deputy superintendent for Madison County Schools. He also serves as an adjunct professor for Samford University. The district says his wife works in the school system as a speech language pathologist.
WAAY 31 asked Minskey if he will be applying for the position. He told us he is still making that decision.
Before becoming deputy superintendent, Minskey was the principal of New Market School.
- Madison County Schools name Dr. Mark Minskey as interim superintendent
- Interim Superintendent named for Huntsville City Schools
- Arab City Schools have new interim superintendent
- Madison County Schools superintendent interviews begin
- New Madison County Schools superintendent sworn in
- School board approves contract for interim superintendent position
- Madison City Schools Superintendent holds community meeting
- Superintendent delivers 2019 Madison County State of the Schools Address
- Madison County Schools unanimously approves Superintendent Matt Massey's resignation
- Madison County School Board searching for new superintendent