The Alabama Association of School Boards has narrowed down the candidate pool for the superintendent position with Madison County Schools to five finalists.
All five finalists are from Alabama. Four of the five are from northern Alabama.
The finalists are Anthony J. Buckner, Dr. Greg B. DeJarnett, Dr. Tim Guinn, Allen Perkins and Edward Lee Willis. They were selected from 40 applicants from around the country.
Now, one of them could become the next superintendent of a school district with almost 20,000 students.
The Madison County Board of Education says they will start meeting with each candidate, one at a time, starting Monday.
Buckner, who is from Section, is currently the curriculum supervisor for the Jackson County Board of Education.
DeJarnett, who is from Clanton, is currently the education administrator/supervisor for the Alabama Department of Education.
Guinn, who is from Russellville, is currently the assistant superintendent for the Russellville Board of Education.
Perkins, who is from Huntsville, is currently the director of equity and innovation for the Madison County Board of Education.
Willis, who is from Somerville, is currently the deputy superintendent of the Morgan County Board of Education.
The finalists were announced at the district's board of education meeting on Tuesday. This comes after the last superintendent, Matt Massey, resigned to become president of the new Cyber Technology School in Huntsville. Dr. Mark Minksey was named the interim superintendent in July.
"You didn't see Dr. Mark Minskey's name on that list. Dr. Minskey chose not to apply to become superintendent of Madison County Schools," a Madison County Schools spokesperson, Tim Hall, said.
Hall says even though there are five candidates, there is a chance none of them are picked as the next superintendent. In that case, Hall says it would be back to the drawing board of finding new candidates.
Right now, there is no set deadline of when a candidate will be selected.
Read more below:
- Madison County Schools announces five finalists for superintendent position
- Madison County Schools announces 3 finalists for superintendent position
- Madison County School Board interviews finalists for superintendent position
- Madison County Schools superintendent finalists to be announced
- Madison County Schools superintendent interviews begin
- New Madison County Schools superintendent sworn in
- Huntsville City Schools Superintendent finalist for Gulf Shores job
- Madison City Schools Superintendent holds community meeting
- Superintendent delivers 2019 Madison County State of the Schools Address
- Madison County Schools unanimously approves Superintendent Matt Massey's resignation