Update: The Madison County Board of Education says there will be a second round of interviews for superintendent candidates at 6 p.m. on Oct. 14th.
The interviews were originally scheduled for Oct. 17th, but the district says that date was changed to accommodate a candidate who could not be there on that date.
Madison County Schools has narrowed down the candidate pool for the superintendent position to three finalists. The board is confident they will have their new superintendent selected by October 21st.
The finalists are Anthony J. Buckner, Tim Guinn and Allen Perkins.
They are all from North Alabama.
Buckner, who is from Section, is currently the curriculum supervisor for the Jackson County Board of Education.
Guinn, who is from Russellville, is currently the assistant superintendent for the Russellville Board of Education.
Perkins, who is from Huntsville, is currently the director of equity and innovation for the Madison County Board of Education.
Initially, the board decided on two finalists, Guinn and Perkins. After a long discussion Thursday night, they decided to add the third finalist, Buckner, because the votes were so close.
"The top two was the initial game plan there, but I will always defer to the wishes of the board members and several felt it was appropriate to add the third member because it was close," Madison County Board of Education President Dave Weis said.
The board members said there was a clear gap between their number one candidate and number two, but the favorite was never named.
The three candidates will have a second interview on October 17th, and Weis hopes the public can be there to share their input before a decision is made.
"Public support is important and necessary, as a board member said, this is an elected position, so we are doing their job. We are doing the responsibility of the people," Weis said.
The search for a new leader for Madison County Schools comes after the last superintendent, Matt Massey, resigned to become president of the new Cyber Technology School in Huntsville. Dr. Mark Minksey was named the interim superintendent in July.
Read more below:
- Madison County Schools announces five finalists for superintendent position
- Madison County Schools announces 3 finalists for superintendent position
- Madison County School Board interviews finalists for superintendent position
- Madison County Schools superintendent finalists to be announced
- Madison County Schools superintendent interviews begin
- New Madison County Schools superintendent sworn in
- Huntsville City Schools Superintendent finalist for Gulf Shores job
- Madison City Schools Superintendent holds community meeting
- Superintendent delivers 2019 Madison County State of the Schools Address
- Madison County Schools unanimously approves Superintendent Matt Massey's resignation