The flu season is upon us and Madison County is staying prepared.
The county's health department provided its 2019 flu shot schedule to WAAY 31 on Wednesday. There is no out-of-pocket cost for participants, but they are asked to bring their insurance cards.
The first thing you do is come to a table to fill out paperwork. All you have to do is show your insurance. If you don't have insurance, you can show your Medicare card.
Then, you fill out health-related and general information about yourself. Afterwards, you walk the paperwork to the nurse. She asks a couple of health-related questions and then gives you the shot. After that, you're free to go.
"I'd much rather be healthy than sick any day," Madison City Councilman Steve Smith said.
Councilman Smith was among the people stopping by City Hall to get a flu shot Wednesday. He urges people to come to any of the clinics this month, even if you think you don't have time.
"I was in and out within five minutes," he said.
A nurse, Shelbrina Lomas, said this is the first year they are able to give the vaccine to children as young as six months old. The state flu tracker shows cases have been reported in North Alabama. Lomas says there are none so far in Madison, but she knows it's coming.
"We are predicting to have a bad flu season," she said.
She said the flu strains change from year to year, so they have to use a vaccine to combat the current strain. She said it's important everyone makes time to get a flu shot, especially people who fall under the high-risk category.
"Young children, the elderly, anybody 65 and older and pregnant women," she said.
The health department will be offering the free shots on these dates:
- October 16th - District 2/Madison City Hall located at 100 Hughes Road, Madison, AL 35758 (9 a.m. - 2p.m.)
- October 23h - District 4 Monrovia Community Center located at 254 Allen Drake Road (9 a.m. - 2 p.m.)
- October 30 th- District 6 Harrison Wellness Center 6156 Pulaski Pike, Huntsville, AL (9 a.m. -2 p.m.)
- November 6th- District 3 County Shed located at 4273 HWY 72 East, Brownsboro, AL 35741
- Madison County Health Department providing free flu shots
- Madison County Health Department administering free flu shots
- Tennessee health departments to offer free flu shots
- Huntsville Library offers free flu shots
- Madison County Health Department seeing spike in school-year vaccines
- Madison County Jail provides Hepatitis A shot for inmates and officers
- Local sheriff's offices provide free gun locks
- Madison County Health Department responds to neighbors' concerns about trash build-up
- Water department schedules water outage in Madison County
- Madison County could be eligible for free book program