Madison County District One Commissioner Roger Jones told WAAY 31 about the Carriger Road bridge which is in need of major work. It's located on US Highway 231 in Hazel Green.
"It's not a matter of if it's going to fail but when, and it's not going to be very long," he said.
The bridge has a 15-ton weight limit, and about 16% of the bridges in Alabama currently have weight restrictions. Jones told us it's important people recognize them.
"It wouldn't be a good idea to cross it with a heavy truck," he said.
Jones told us the nearly 60-year-old bridge is failing, and back in 2015 a large hole caused the bridge to be shut down.
"A hole came in the deck the size you could drop a basketball through," he added.
Jones told us the cost to repair or build a new bridge range between $1.5 million and 3 million dollars. Depending on which option the county is forced to go with, the bridge will have to be closed for one to two years.
At the Madison County Commission meeting, approval to fix a different bridge in his district on Buddy Williamson Road. Those repairs will cost about $180,000.
- Madison Co. bridge needs major repairs
- Madison Co. bridge closed for construction
- Historic Madison County bridge relocated to park
- Repairs on the way for damaged bridge in Rainsville
- Keel Mountain Road in Madison County reopened after repairs completed
- Four bridges to be expanded in Madison County
- Traffic alert: Hudson Memorial Bridge lanes in Decatur closed for repairs
- Delays with Blowing Cave Road repairs causing issues for Madison Co. Schools
- Madison Co. residents hopeful Alabama gas tax increase will lead to more local road repairs
- Traffic Alert: Portion of Madison Street closed for repairs after hit-and-run destroyed guardrail