Photo Gallery 5 Images
The Madison County Sheriff's Office is working to determine if the man called the most prolific serial killer of our time, Samuel Little, is connected to human remains found more than 20 years ago.
Investigators said they passed reconstructive pictures to agencies across the United States 25 years ago, but no one to this day has been able to figure out who the woman is or how she ended up dead in the woods in Madison County.
Investigators said they are working to travel to speak to Little about the cold case.
"When we get the opportunity to speak with him, and hopefully we will, that will be one of the questions, is, 'Was he in this area?'" Lt. Brian Chaffin said.
The remains were found on September 22, 1995 in a wooded area along Baltimore Hill Road.
"We would love to find out who this is. That has been our goal since day one," Chaffin said.
No one matching the woman's description was reported missing in Madison County or anywhere nearby. She's one of four cold cases the sheriff's office has but the only victim who's never been identified.
"It's just odd for an agency or community to have remains found and not know who they are," Chaffin said.
Now, the sheriff's office wants to know if she was Samuel Little's victim.
"Hopefully he has some information and remembers who she is. If he's involved, because he may not be involved, anyone can do anything at any given time," he said.
He shared pictures with us of a red shirt, jeans and bulky high top tennis shoes recovered where her remains were found. Chaffin said a cause of death has never been determined and no gunshot wounds were found on her body, so it's unknown if the woman was strangled like Little's victims.
"I'm not saying he's associated with this one. I'm not sure, but like I said, it's another place to go," he said.
The sheriff's office said the woman could be someone's mother, sister, daughter or friend. They're now hoping to identify her to give her family closure.
- Madison Co. investigators looking to question serial killer in cold case
- Authorities looking into cold cases; checking for serial killer connection
- Family gets closure from serial killer's confession
- Suspected serial killer confesses to 5 Mississippi deaths
- Decatur murder victim's mother addresses serial killer's confession
- Serial killer pleads guilty in Texas woman's 1994 death
- FBI releases sketches of suspected victims of serial killer
- Corey Davis pleads guilty in Lauderdale serial rape case
- Body of child is seventh found in search for Cyprus serial killer victims
- Suspected serial killer charged in deaths of four women in Detroit, prosecutor says