A domestic violence situation ended with a man behind bars early Tuesday morning in Madison County. Authorities have now identified the suspect as 49-year-old Dirk Shewell. He was booked into the Madison County jail on a domestic violence charge, domestic violence by strangulation, and first degree unlawful imprisonment. He is being held on a $77,500 bond.
Shortly after midnight, the Madison County Sheriff's Office got a 911 call from the southeast part of the Harvest area.
Investigators said a woman who was involved in a domestic violence situation was able to get out of her home on Brasfield Drive near the corner of Grand Hollow Court.
She ran to a neighbor to call 911.
When deputies arrived at the home, they tried to convince the woman's husband, identified as Shewell, to come out of the home, but he refused. Meanwhile, the wife was transported to Huntsville Hospital for evaluation. She reportedly suffered serious injuries, but none being life-threatening.
Back at Brasfield Drive, deputies brought out negotiators to try and talk to Shewell, but he was still unresponsive to their requests.
The SWAT team was brought in to use non-lethal methods to try and get the man to come out of the home, but that too was unsuccessful.
Finally, around 4 a.m., members of the SWAT team made entry into the home and arrested Shewell.
Lt. Donny Shaw told WAAY 31 that a perimeter was set up around the home and no other homes in the neighborhood were in any danger during the standoff.
- MCSO: domestic violence leads to standoff, suspect identified
- Domestic violence in Alabama
- Man arrested for Domestic Violence
- Huntsville Police: Domestic violence suspect taken into custody
- Suspect in custody after domestic violence report and police search
- Domestic violence suspect wanted in Tuscumbia now in custody
- Florence man charged with domestic violence, kidnapping
- Legal experts explain domestic violence laws
- Alabama sheriff's deputy shot during domestic violence call
- Domestic-violence allegations against suspended Lawrence County Sheriff's captain