A major push in the Tennessee Valley to interest people in some of the hardest industry in which to find qualified workers,
It's estimated there are 300,000 open manufacturing jobs nationwide, but not enough people to fill them. The advanced manufacturing job event was meant to show people the opportunities and skills needed for success.
Jonathan Goekler started his career as an electrical engineer. Now wants to go into advanced manufacturing. However, he knows there's a lot of training involved.
"They say you get out of high school and you don't have any experience. But now you're going to go this job that wants you to have the experience, but you don't have the experience or knowledge," Jonathon Goekler said.
He's gaining that experience through his education at J.F. Drake State Community and Technical college. Goekler said he's noticed the growth in Huntsville, and the manufacturing jobs coming with it. The Mazda-Toyota plant in Limestone County, for example.
"Electrical technology is forever changing. Just to keep up with the pace, is something to make a living on within itself," Goekler said.
SES Manufacturing Operations, Toyota, and Brown Precision Engineering Company were at the training event. Drake's State Interim President Chris Lewis told WAAY 31 there are thousands of open manufacturing jobs in Huntsville alone.
"In the next 2-3 years, we could need over 2,000 new people. So we need to get to work to make sure our community is trained and ready to go to work," Chris Lewis said.
But some people like Desmond Flowers are ready to work.
"Just get the job training and be certified. Help me get a better position in a job field I want to pursue," Desmond Flowers said.
President Lewis also said with the influx of new jobs, he's expecting enrollment to continue to increase.
He hopes event's like today's will also be a lure for those even considering work in the manufacturing industry.
- Local college gears people to train for manufacturing jobs
- Toyota manufacturing plant expansion to bring 450 new jobs
- Site ranks Huntsville among best for manufacturing jobs
- Toyota Manufacturing donates 10 engines to local career tech
- Skilled to Work: FAME program places students in high demand manufacturing jobs
- Skilled to Work: Dozens of jobs added to support new manufacturing building at Teledyne Brown Engineering
- $50 million manufacturing facility, 400 jobs coming to Athens related to Mazda-Toyota
- $220M manufacturing facility, 650 jobs coming to Limestone County for Mazda Toyota
- Local businesses gearing up for Hydrofest race in Marshall Co.
- Community reacts to Toyota-Mazda manufacturing plant