A local church is working to educate the community about organ donation through a free seminar.
One of the church members, Audra Allen, is a member of Union Chapel Missionary Baptist Church in Huntsville.
Right now, Allen is on dialysis three times a week after being diagnosed with kidney disease a few years ago.
Allen is working to coordinate an informational seminar about the need for organ donors after seeing a big need locally through her journey.
"It wasn't until I had the personal experience that I really understood how much organ donation is needed. Whether its a living donation such as a kidney, or bone marrow, or if you stipulate on your drivers license you want to be an organ donor upon your death," said Allen.
A transplant surgeon from Vanderbilt will be speaking at the seminar along with representatives from the Organ Donation Center in Birmingham.
The seminar is free and open to the public. It starts at 8:00 AM at the church, located at 315 Winchester Road in Huntsville.
- Local church hosting organ donor seminar
- Local church hosts community Thanksgiving breakfast
- North Alabama organ donors increasing thanks to DMVs
- LifeSouth celebrates longtime donor
- LifeSouth hosts first ever blood donor yard sale
- Local organization celebrates women's history month
- Local school organizes Veterans Day program
- Seminar series prepares people for upcoming job fairs
- LifeSouth holds blood drive in conjunction with local veterans organizations
- Local, adopted 3-year-old in desperate need of bone marrow donor