A new classroom evaluation strategy will put more focus on students instead of teachers. The new Eleot Program will start in a matter of days across Limestone County Public Schools and is something school principals have spent the last year preparing for.
TJ Dendy is a frustrated parent in Limestone County and wants to see the schools make a change.
"If the students aren't learning from the way the teachers are teaching then they need to look at that and reassess it," Dendy said.
That is exactly what Limestone County Public Schools has done as the new Eleot Program will shift the focus from teacher observation in the classroom to student engagement and learning. Blue Spring Elementary School Assistant Principal Gregory Gray received his certification from the program and is excited about the new change.
"We trained on it last year and this year it's going to be fully implemented in all Limestone County Public Schools," Gray said.
School administrators like Gray will now interact with students and work with teachers to determine more effective teaching strategies.
"To get a true picture of what's going on in your school, you have to be in the classroom," Gray said. "I need to be out in the classroom."
Christy Nixon has two sons that went through Limestone County Public Schools and says having the students at the center for the new program is a must.
"I think the focus really needs to be on the kids because we're not all the same, some learn quicker than others," Nixon said. "They don't grasp what the teacher is saying as well as others."
Assistant Principal Gray tells WAAY31 the school is not stepping away from how they observe teachers in the classroom, they plan on using the same system. Students are back in classes in Limestone County on August 8th and teachers return on August 2nd.
- Limestone County Schools program shifts focus to students
- Limestone County Schools holding Summer Meals Program
- Limestone Co. District Choice Program accepts new students
- Limestone County Schools considering cutting teachers
- Colbert County summer school program
- Pedestrian killed in Limestone County
- Roads reopen in Limestone County
- Bands shine in Limestone County
- Escaped Limestone County inmate captured
- Limestone County school officials, authorities practice active shooter training