Photo Gallery 1 Images
WAAY 31 spoke to the brave 15-year-old girl who spotted a man on the run in Limestone County and called 911.
This all happened while her 75-year-old grandmother held the suspect, Cameron Powers, at gunpoint until deputies arrived and put him in handcuffs.
“I said, ‘The boy is standing down there at the end of the driveway,’ and she said, ‘You’re joking,'" Allie Ruth Black said.
That was part of the conversation 15-year-old Allie Ruth Black had with her grandmother at the dinner table Monday evening.
About four hours after deputies say Cameron Powers crashed a stolen car during a high-speed chase on E & L Lane, he showed up in Black's grandmother’s driveway.
“He didn’t have a shirt on and didn’t have any shoes on," Allie Ruth Black said.
Black spotted Powers and immediately called 9-1-1, while her 75-year-old grandmother, Marcia, got her rifle and confronted the man about the crash that happened just down the road from her home.
"He said, ‘No, ma’am, I don’t know what you’re talking about,'" Black said. "And she said, ‘Well, I’m going to need you to lay down in the grass.’”
When the man kept moving closer to her home, Black's grandmother reacted.
“She shot up in the air and he hit the ground as hard as he could," Black said.
Allie Ruth Black told WAAY 31 she’s never been more proud of her grandmother, who didn’t want to be on camera, saying she was just doing her job: protecting those she loves.
“Our jaws just dropped. We thought, ‘Wow, my grandmother is the coolest person on the planet," Allie Ruth Black said. "This is a story that I’m going to get to tell my grandkids one day."
Marcia Black held Cameron Powers at gunpoint until deputies arrived and took him to the Limestone County Jail. We're waiting for investigators to tell us what charges he's facing.
Allie Ruth Black is the daughter of Limestone County District Three Commissioner Jason Black. Marcia Black is his mother.
- Limestone County sheriff: Grandmother holds chase suspect at gunpoint while granddaughter calls 911
- Grandmother & Granddaughter Killed in New Year's Day Crash
- Grandma holds suspect at gunpoint until deputies arrive in Limestone County
- 911 call center in Limestone County updates technology
- Limestone County 911 call center gets new location technology
- Limestone County sheriff seeks property damage suspect
- Grandmother speaks out after she says granddaughter was attacked at Whitesburg P-8
- Phone outage hits Limestone County sheriff, other offices; 911 still works
- Limestone County sheriff seeks multiple vehicle break-in suspects
- Limestone County sheriff: Suspect fed meth to ‘attack squirrel’