A clerk at Dollar General in Tanner described what happened when a 96-year-old woman drove through the front of the store Thursday afternoon, almost hitting a customer.
"It was just scary," said the clerk, Esperanca Gomez.
She had just finished up checking out the woman who escaped being injured when the car came barreling into the store. Right now, the store is boarded up and closed, and will stay closed until the entrance is fixed.
A customer was walking out of the doors that are now boarded up when she narrowly avoided getting hit. Security footage shows the customer leaving the store. They were inches away from being run over by the woman who thought her car was in reverse.
"It was pretty loud. I thought it was going to come into the walls where I was sitting," said Gomez.
She says when she came around to see if anyone was hurt, the woman "was still ramming on her gas."
That's when people came up to make sure the elderly woman was okay and to get her out of the car. She was taken to the hospital, and the Limestone County Sheriff's Office says she will be okay.
Gomez says the woman is a regular customer, and she seemed fine during her hour and a half shopping trip before the wreck.
"Just normal, sweet as always," Gomez said.
Gomez said the store has many regular customers that will now have to go somewhere else.
"I know they're going to be devastated because they come in here a lot," she said.
The district manager for the store said he will work on getting the entrance fixed as soon as possible, but he did not know exactly how long that will take.
Any driver who is 65 years old or older in Alabama has to get a vision test when they renew their license. In some instances, a family member, doctor or judge can recommend a reexamination. That includes a vision test, written test and/or driving test.
The Limestone County Sheriff's Office told WAAY 31 the 96-year-old woman did have a valid driver's license.
- Limestone County sheriff: 96-year-old woman accidentally drives into Dollar General
- Videos: Limestone County sheriff seeks Dollar General theft suspect
- Madison County sheriff: Help identify woman who used fake money at Dollar General
- Limestone County sheriff seeks honey bun bandit
- Limestone County sheriff seeks property damage suspect
- Madison County Sheriff’s Office seeks man it says used fake $100 bill at Dollar General
- Second arrest made in Dollar General robbery
- Athens police seek Dollar General robbery suspect
- Rogersville woman killed in Limestone County crash
- Jackson Co. Sheriff's Office: Armed, dangerous suspect wanted after Dollar General robbery