UPDATE: The Alabama Ethics Commission told WAAY 31 that Limestone County Sheriff Mike Blakey was notified of the ethics charges against him.
The Director of the Commission, Tom Albritton, said "He was notified as was his legal counsel, as all respondents are, of the charges against him and he was given an opportunity to appear before the commission if he chose to do so."
On Wednesday, Sheriff Blakely said he didn't attend the hearing in Montgomery, because he was unaware of the charges against him.
The Alabama Ethics Commission met Wednesday in Montgomery to discuss a number of ethics violations. During the meeting, the commission went into an executive session.
The commission reviewed a complaint regarding Limestone County Sheriff Mike Blakely during the executive session. In a public meeting following that session, the commission believed the evidence presented showed the sheriff may have violated an Alabama ethics law.
The commission voted to send the case for review to the Alabama Attorney General's Office so that it could take appropriate action. The vote was 4-0. One member of the commission recused them self from the vote.
No evidence was presented during the public meeting. It's unclear what Blakely is accused of doing that may have violated the law. He was not in Montgomery for the meeting, because he said he did not have any knowledge about the allegations.
"I totally disagree, respectfully disagree with the ethics commission's finding, and I look forward to it being thoroughly vetted by the attorney general's office," Blakely said.
WAAY 31 received a statement from Blakely's attorney. We've also reached out to Attorney General Steve Marshall's Office to learn more about the case and it said its policy is "not to make any comment or confirmation whether a particular matter may or may not be under investigation."
"Mike Blakely and his family have lived in Limestone County all of their lives. He has had the privilege of serving Limestone County as Sheriff since 1983. Sheriff Blakely is a person of great character and his impeccable reputation is evidence of this. No charges have been filed against Sheriff Blakely and we hope that none will be. Sheriff Blakely and his family appreciate so much the overwhelming support of his friends and the community."
Check back here for more updates.
- Ethics Commission notified Limestone Co. Sheriff about complaint
- King files ethics complaint against Marshall
- Limestone Co. Sheriff's Office employee files labor complaint
- Limestone County Commission, Sheriff's Office issue statements on arrest of Sheriff Mike Blakely
- Limestone County Sheriff Mike Blakely arrested on 13 theft and ethics charges
- Limestone County sheriff seeks honey bun bandit
- Limestone County sheriff seeks property damage suspect
- Lauderdale County Commission approves new technology for sheriff's deputies
- Sheriff's office, legal team talk after Limestone County sheriff indicted
- Limestone County Sheriff's Office advising drivers to slow down