UPDATE: The United Cerebral Palsy of Huntsville office (UCP) said Monday night it discovered the damage was caused by a downed power line. Earlier Monday, the non-profit believed the damage was caused by a lightning strike, as it closely resembles a lightning trench.
Joe Gehrdes with Huntsville Utilities said there was a power outage reported Saturday in that area. He said a downed power line fell out of its sleeve on Keats Drive and damaged the sign at UCP.
A lightning strike left behind a burn path in the front of a Huntsville non-profit. It happened at the United Cerebral Palsy of Huntsville office in North Huntsville.
Leslie Walker said she pulled into work Monday morning trying to figure out if someone had crashed into the non-profit where she works, but she soon learned that wasn't the case.
"Immediately, I was just floored. You hear about lightning strikes, but you don't see one very often, so it immediately took us aback," she said.
Walker said the training and therapy centers are both closed on the weekend, so no one knew about the strike until Monday. They don't know when it happened.
"It probably would have scared us beyond belief if we were here," she said.
Now, looking at the damage left behind is something that has her in disbelief.
"The path itself is just amazing. We can't figure out where it originated from," she said.
The even crazier part about the strike is the green and black glass found on either sides of the path. Walker said the strike destroyed a metal sign, and the glass is something she has never seen before.
"It is strictly a phenomenon of the lightning strike," she said.
Walker said they aren't aware of any damage to the building. She said since they're a non-profit, they're trying to figure out if there is anything they could do with the lightning glass to raise money so they can replace the sign.
- Huntsville downed power line leaves behind burned grass, produces glass
- Grass Stains get gold
- Tree and power line knocked down at Whitesburg Drive, Garland Avenue in Huntsville
- Wreck knocks down power lines, blocks Madison County road
- Hundreds without power in Athens due to lightning, downed power lines
- Final Huntsville Schools safety meeting produces new ideas
- Madison police, Animal Control, Huntsville Utilities save Red-tailed hawk from power lines
- Fire burns through house in Huntsville
- Car burned at Huntsville apartment complex
- Huntsville police: Broken glass, chase lead to arrests of burglary suspects