We're learning why local blood banks are experiencing shortages this summer.
LifeSouth told WAAY 31, they are in need of blood donations to stay stocked-up. WAAY 31 visited their mobile blood bus, and talked to donors about the importance of making a donation.
"I usually give it about two to three times a year because people need it," said donor Jeff McLendon.
McLendon said, he tries to always make a donation when he sees a blood mobile bus around town. Although donations are critical to saving lives in emergencies, LifeSouth said, they have a difficult time getting donations in the summer.
"People are on vacation and they don't want to mess with it. I used to give it at work when I worked, but now I don't work so it's just whenever I see one," said McLendon.
Tyler Ervin is a new donor, and said he thinks people need to look at the bigger picture when it comes to donating.
"A lot of people, and I hate to say this they don't care what the cause is for as long as there's nothing in it for them they don't care about the cause," said Ervin.
LifeSouth told us, they typically receive more donations in the fall and spring because they do a lot of drives at high schools. People need to start donating year round, said McLendon. "You could save a life. Maybe even your own."
Ervin suggested LifeSouth, and other blood banks may need to try new ways to get donations.
"When you offer them incentives it gives them a reason to come," said Ervin.
LifeSouth said, they are trying to raise awareness, and bring people out. They're even giving away little incentives like a water bottle with a cooling towel in it to get people to just come out, and donate blood to save a life.
A tech in the blood mobile told WAAY 31, each donation has the potential to save three lives. Donations collected from LifeSouth stay local and go to 12 major hospitals in North Alabama including; Huntsville, Madison, and Decatur.
- LifeSouth Blood Bank seeks donations during summer shortage
- LifeSouth Hosting Summer blood drives
- LifeSouth seeking Hurricane Dorian-related blood donations in North Alabama
- LifeSouth Blood Center helps in search for rare blood
- LifeSouth celebrates longtime donor
- LifeSouth hosts first ever blood donor yard sale
- LifeSouth holds blood drive in conjunction with local veterans organizations
- Summer food bank needs
- Red Cross asks for blood donations; critical need for blood
- Red Cross: Winter season and flu season causing blood shortage